Legendary Place. Legendary Taste.
For going on a century, “Green Bay” has been synonymous with professional football, a place where guts meet grit on the field of play, and the gridiron greats of nine decades live on. Those who call Green Bay home couldn’t be prouder of that link.
At the same time, we’re also aware of our unique place in Wisconsin’s history.
We’re part of the fabric of a centuries-old community, a culture defined by the adventurous spirit of 17th-century French-Canadian merchants, the raw determination of settlers who came to log and farm; the visionary industrialists who established paper mills, breweries, canneries and other businesses; and the pioneers of transportation who connected our community to the rest of the nation by rail.
Both histories — our connection to the Green-and-Gold and our link to a storied cultural past — come together within the historic walls of Titletown.
The spirit of the community is embodied by the Titletown family and our commitment to delivering personalized, authentic experiences to our guests.
And that in itself is legendary.
Titletown Brewing Co History
Titletown Brewing Company opened on December 3, 1996.
In 1893 Green Bay became the headquarters of the Lake Shore Division of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway. This action resulted in expansion of the facilities at Green Bay. In 1897 the C&NW purchased land on the northwest edge of Green Bay to build a new freight yard. A new depot was to be located on the site of the old freight yard and engine house, which was the former site of the Fort Howard Military Reservation. The new yard was completed in early 1898, thereby making possible the removal of the old yard in preparation for the construction of the depot.
Charles S. Frost, a Chicago architect, designed the new depot. Mr. Frost designed most of the principle C&NW depots. Construction began in the fall of 1898 and the depot was opened to the public on July 29,1899. The building consisted of two stories. The first level housed the waiting rooms, lunchroom and ticket office. The upstairs level consisted of the agent's private office and a clubroom for employees of the C&NW Railway. The ladies' waiting room was tinted in green, and north of this was a lunchroom. The gentlemen's waiting room was finished in oak with the walls being in Venetian red. An 11' wide entrance connected the carriage way, waiting rooms and ticket office.
During the depot's golden age it was a bustling hub of activity. Thousands of families saw their loved ones deport for war or reunited here after its end. Among the most famous visitors here were Nat King Cole, Buddy Holly, and three presidents: Taft, Franklin Roosevelt and Eisenhower. For many residents of Green Bay and surrounding communities, the depot was a social center and a gathering place which played a significant role in families' most memorable life events.
Although regularly scheduled passenger service via the C&NW came to end on the last day of April in 1971, the depot remained a hub of C&NW activity. Even without the familiar "Peninsula 400" arriving or departing, the depot stood proud and tall as a testimony to Green Bay's railroad heritage.
During the 1980's, the nation's larger railroads began to divest themselves of their lighter density lines. The C&NW was no different. By 1987 the railroad had decided to sell the 208 mile stretch of the former Lake Shore Track between Milwaukee and Green Bay. The new railroad taking the place of the C&NW at Dousman Street was the Fox River Valley Railroad or FRVR, which operated here from 1988 to 1993. In August 1993, FRVR was sold to Wisconsin Central Transportation Corp, and the new line was called the Fox Valley & Western. In a short period of five years, the depot had three different residents: the C&NW, FRVR and FVW.
The building was vacated in August 1994 and sat idle for almost two years. That all changed in July 1996 when a group of investors began a complete renovation of the depot. Titletown Brewing Company opened on December 6, 1996. The Dousman Street Depot was alive again with the sounds of people. Titletown serves the area as an upscale eating establishment and microbrewery, while preserving the 100 year history of this Green Bay landmark. In December 1999, the depot was officially named to the National Register of Historic Places.
Titletown is pleased to welcome you as a visitor to the depot. As you enjoy your food and drink, we hope you will take some time to look around the building and remember its rich history.
In 2013, Titletown Brewing Co. was ranked as one of the Top 20 Brew Pubs in the country based on volume. At that time, the majority of our beer was sold in our Brew Pub. We were busting at the seams and made a strategic decision to build a full service brewery with a Tap Room. As luck would have it, historic warehouse buildings adjacent to the Depot became available and were purchased. This was the second time that Titletown Brewing Co. purchased abandoned, historic buildings and revitalized them into destinations.
Our Brewery, Tap Room, Roof Tap and Event hall are located in the former Larsen Canning Buildings. The Larsen Canning Company was founded in the late 1800’s and officially closed in 2004. The majority of the buildings were built between 1908 and 1922. On October 11, 2014, the Titletown Tap Room was opened, followed by our first shipment of packaged beer on February 15, 2015. On September 22, 2015, our Roof Tap opened offering a spectacular view of downtown Green Bay and our historic smokestack. The Roof Tap is open year-round, offering both an indoor and outdoor experience.
Throughout the course of the renovation, Titletown made every effort to preserve the history of the building. In our Tap Room, which was built in 1908, you will find a 1,200 lbs. restored mechanical gear, window frames from the original building and light fixtures that are over 110 years old. Our brew house was designed to fit into the old boiler room of the former vegetable plant, which also pays homage to the base of our smokestack. On our Roof Tap, you will see original fans from the building behind the bar and a 100-year-old fire door surrounding the fireplace.
We highly recommend taking a brewery tour to learn more about our history and the history of the area……. along with fun beer conversations too!